I was finally able to take decent photos of my cake. I know I’m super late, but at least I posted this before August! HAH! So, I bet you’re wondering my cake doesn’t look a Swiss roll ice cream cake. I will give you three seconds to guess why. . .just think about my sausage buns, and you’ll figure it out.
2 segundos. .
3 segundos. . .
Yep, you guessed it. My overheating oven apparently isn’t too fond of sponge cake, so it ruined the first one completely and almost ruined all of the second one as well. I managed to salvage most of the cake, but I was unable to make Swiss rolls out of it. So, I slathered on the vanilla bean whipped cream (which is just “genious-ly” good!), cut the cakes into circles and rectangles, and placed them into two ramekins and one loaf pan.
Although my ice cream cakes are not nearly as pretty as the other daring bakers’ cakes, at least they still tasted pretty good, and I completed the challenge.
For the ice cream portion, I made coffee ice cream and chocolate ice cream. I used different ice cream recipes from those on the challenge because I wanted egg-based ice cream, which tends to be creamier. Everything tasted fantastic except for the sponge cake, but I think that is because of the egg-white flavor and my oven’s performance (or failure to perform well).
TWO THINGS I LEARNED DOING THIS CHALLENGE:
1. Whole eggs can expand big time! I thought that with the addition of egg yolks, eggs couldn’t expand that much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I don’t know why, but I was.
3. That there really are foods that can stick unmercifully to Silpat despite what the company claims.
TWO THINGS I KNEW ALREADY BUT SOMEHOW FORGOT:
1. My oven sucks even after being “fixed” twice.
2. Ice cream melts quickly and can be frustrating so set up everything for your photo shoot ahead of time.
3. That I love ice cream cake!
I apologize to all my fellow DBers for being so late. A lot of things are going on in my life that I will let you know about later. I enjoyed this challenge despite the moments of frustration while taking photos of the melting ice cream haha. Now, I need to find volunteers to eat up all this excess ice cream and cake! Anyone interested? 🙂